Critical Analysis – “How I Met Your Mother” – **EDITED**

With all the suspense leading up to the finale of “How I Met Your Mother” on March 31, I decided to binge-watch all nine seasons of the show over the winter break and came to a conclusion as to why it is such a hit: it brings out the nostalgia of other television shows such as “Friends” and “Sex and the City.”

Courtesy of Collider.com

After “Friends” ended in 2004, its fans were left without their guides into New York City life.   “How I Met Your Mother,” premiering just a year later, solved that problem.  Rachel, Phoebe, Monica, Chandler, Ross and Joey were replaced by Ted, Robin, Lilly, Marshall, and Barney.  The “Friends”  hangout Central Perk became the new gang’s watering hole MacLaren’s and Rachel and Monica’s apartment is now Ted, Lilly and Marshall’s apartment.

Courtesy of Ended TV Series

But “How I Met Your Mother” is also comparable to “Sex and the City.” Ted is almost reminiscent of a female Carrie Bradshaw — he’s completely selfish and a sucker for love, but he is the most loyal friend, which softens his selfishness.  He proves this when he chooses not to marry a woman who wants him to end his friendship with Robin.

Meanwhile, Barney Stinson is clearly Samantha Jones, as they both sleep around New York City. Marshall and Miranda share the same profession — law. Lilly’s perceived innocence is similar to Charlotte’s mannerisms. Finally, Robin is a combination of the four women. She pursues an unobtainable relationship that ends in marriage like Carrie and is hardworking like Miranda. She is confident and stands her ground like Samantha, and seeks others’ approval like Charlotte.

I believe that all fans, not just those from New York, love the idea of the big apple. Living in one of the world’s greatest cities has always been seen as a luxury or desire — and these characters get to do it. “How I Met Your Mother” has even inspired real-life tours of the city.

I’m a firm believer that “How I Met Your Mother” is not it’s own show, but a combination of other hit shows. Regardless, I’m still binge-watching and understand why others do as well.