Critical Analysis – “How I Met Your Mother”

With suspense leading up to the finale of “How I Met Your Mother” on March 31, I decided to binge-watch all nine seasons of the show and have come to a conclusion as to why it is such a hit among its followers — because it reminds fans of other television shows.

For starters,  it can be seen as a modern-day “Friends.” After the series ended in 2004,  its fans were left without their guides into New York City life.   “How I Met Your Mother” premiering just a year later solved that problem.  Rachel, Pheobe, Monica, Chandler, Ross and Joey were found in Ted, Robin, Lilly, Marshall, and Barney.  Central Perk became MacLaren’s and Rachel and Monica’s apartment turned into Ted, Lilly and Marshall’s apartment.

“How I Met Your Mother” is also comparable to “Sex and the City.” Ted is almost reminiscent of a female Carrie Bradshaw — he’s completely selfish and a sucker for love, but he is the most loyal friend, which forgives his selfishness.  He proves this when he doesn’t choose marrying Victoria because she wants him to end his friendship with Robin.  Barney Stinson is clearly Samantha Jones, as they both sleep around New York City. Marshall and Miranda share the same profession — law. Lilly’s perceived innocence is similar to Charlotte’s mannerisms. Finally, Robin is a combination of the four women. She pursues an unobtainable relationship that ends in marriage like Carrie and  is hardworking like Miranda. She is confident and stands her ground like Samantha, and seeks others’ approval like Charlotte.

I’m a firm believer that “How I Met Your Mother” is not it’s own show, but a combination of other hit shows. Regardless,  I’m still binge-watching and understand why others do as well.